Monday, April 16, 2012

Harry Potter Themed Goodies!

Last year, my friends and I had an amazing Harry Potter themed party to celebrate both my friend Mary's birthday and the release of the 8th movie! It was amazing! She asked me to make butterbeer cupcakes, and I happily obliged! Here are some pictures and notes about things you can do for your next Harry Potter Bash!


1. Butterbeer Cupcakes

Parents: Don't be alarmed! Butterbeer cupcakes are alcohol-free, just like the scrumptious beverage featured in the Harry Potter series! Butterbeer is supposed to taste like cream soda and butterscotch mixed together (in fact, those are two ingredients in the most common butterbeer recipes)!

I have made other butterbeer cupcakes before, but the best recipe I've found is from Amy Bites. Her version is simple, yet a recipe you will be PROUD to serve your friends! made from scratch, the cupcakes even feature an easy ganache and tasty frosting. Here are a few pictures of the ones I made!



Fresh from the oven, I knew these cupcakes would be a hit! Look how perfect!




That 'ganache' has like TWO ingredients in it! Always a good sign!






So good! :)





2. Shortbread Cookies

The easiest way to carry on a theme for any party is with appropriately shaped cookies! For the Harry Potter party, I cut out stars and lightning bolts! You can definitely buy your own cookie cutter for the lightning bolts, but I used a template and made each tedious cut with a knife.

THIS is the recipe I use, from Ina Garten. Her recipe is divine (and you probably already have the ingredients)!!

I also drizzled chocolate on some of them, topped with crystal sprinkles.


Only a few ingredients!






YUM!




3. Butterscotch Haystacks! (Owl nests? Spiders? Sleeping Bowtruckles?)

Butterscotch haystacks are delicious and are just strange enough to be any number of Harry Potter-related things!

Drop clusters of the mixture onto a cookie sheet and chill them, and they make a great little treat!



4. Miscellaneous Ideas!

There are several passages in the Harry Potter books that talk about candies and treats, and many could be recreated for this kind of party.

I personally love the powdered sugar chex mix (with peanut butter and sugar) and that could easily be worked into a Potter themed party.



Have fun with your next Harry Potter Bash! I know WE did! :)
<3 Sara Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment